Jeremiah 29:11

For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future.

The Family

The Family

Thursday, August 12, 2010

A Belated Posting of Finally Home

Yes, we did survive the trip from Africa, and we are now home. I am just a little late in posting that we're home. In my defense, I had to go back to work and write a paper that still isn't quite finished for school. Anyway, we got back like at midnight Tuesday and we all crashed. My dad and I went back to work the next day and school starts Monday.

Coming back to the United States is a really hard transition. You go from absolute poverty and people begging you for food, to wealth and people that feel they are entitled to certain things. I work at our country club's snack bar where I get kids snow cones and hand out hot dogs. Not three days ago little boys and girls were grabbing my hands and looking at me with pleading eyes for food and money. The kids I see now, bang on the window when they can clearly see me and demand things from me without even so much as a please. This girl at the pool yesterday literally stood in front of the window inspecting her two snow cones seeing if they had enough juice to her liking. Of course when she ordered, she said, "Two snow cones without the ball on top and extra juice, I mean extra extra juice. Did you get that? You're not looking at me. Are you sure you got that?" I kinda wanted to shake her really hard. I didn't, but I wanted to.
It's such a hard transition. After I saw the government orphanages I remember asking my dad what I was supposed to do with what I have seen. I can't adopt a child right now so what do I do? He told me to ask Dr. Thomas, a new friend and Psychologist. So we walked over there and Dr. Thomas told me that I wasn't just here for Samuel, I was here because God wanted me to learn a few things. He was right. God taught me a few things while I was there. With those teachings I was charged with a task. I am to bear testimony to what I saw. Not everyone can go to Africa and see what I have seen. It is my job to talk, show, and write about the poverty in Africa and the blessed people of Ethiopia. Yes, they are most definitely blessed people. They may not have our money or big houses but they have kindness and a love for family that many families in America lack.

I'm exhausted. I think I am still under the influence of jet lag to a certain extent, and I have to get my locker for school tomorrow as well as work for 8 hours. WHOOP. I shall post more later, but don't expect too much. School starts Monday and I have homework to finish. Yes, they assign you tons of homework over the summer break. Don't even get me started. Goodnight.

2 comments:

  1. Great post!
    The sights and experiences definitely have the capacity to put a twist on things upon returning to what we consider the norm. You said it so well with your snowcone example.
    Miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We miss you guys too! I really liked ya'll! If we ever convince my dad to bring the whole family to New York we are gonna have to get together!
    - Rebekah

    ReplyDelete